Mourinho reveals Rodri’s doubts led to Barcelona move over Real Madrid

José Mourinho has revealed that he spoke to Rodri about joining Real Madrid, claiming the World Cup winner “had doubts” over a move, which led the Portuguese coach to question his potential signing.

Mourinho was presented as Madrid coach on Tuesday — posing with president Florentino Pérez and signing a three-year contract — before speaking to late-night Spanish TV show El Chiringuito in his first interview since taking the job.

Barcelona also confirmed the signing of Ballon d’Or winner Rodri from Manchester City on Tuesday, with the midfielder previously having been expected to move to Madrid.

“I spoke with [Rodri] a couple of times,” Mourinho said. “Real Madrid made him a very good offer. I think the relationship between Real Madrid and City is very good. The club made him an important offer. Rodri had doubts, he doubted, and I think what happened is that the doubts Rodri had, gave me doubts.

“He’s an extraordinary player. But I think Real Madrid are so big that we can’t have players who think twice. That’s the concept. But he behaved properly with us, and I wish him well.”

Mourinho was last in charge at the Bernabéu between 2010 and 2013 and has returned after the team failed to win a major trophy for two consecutive seasons, with two coaches — Xabi Alonso and Álvaro Arbeloa — fired last campaign amid dressing room tensions.

“I’ve found a dressing room with a lot of will to win,” Mourinho said on Tuesday. “I’ve found an open dressing room, with common sense. From the first day, I haven’t had any chance to be an aggressive leader — which I can be — because they’ve protected me from that version [of myself]. Their behaviour has been beyond reproach.”

“[Kylian] Mbappé is incredible,” Mourinho added. “He’s a player with a level that’s out of this world. Last season was a strange season, difficult for everyone, Xabi and Álvaro paid the price. But winning or losing is multi-factor. I don’t accept that the blame is just for a few [people]. A lot of people failed last year.”

Madrid have signed six new players this summer — Marc Cucurella, Yan Diomande, Bernardo Silva, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries and Carlos Espí — as well as bringing in Mourinho, and the coach denied that he wants to see more arrivals before the window closes.

“No,” Mourinho said. “I won’t say there won’t be more [signings], the market is open, but if you ask me if the squad is closed, yes. I like the squad.”

Madrid kick off their 2026/27 season away at Espanyol on Saturday, as they look to beat Barcelona to the title after back-to-back LaLiga wins for the Catalans.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *